event management - event production - brand design and styling










Friday, January 15, 2010

Soul Destroying

Working in fashion retail you expect to hear the usual knock backs from customers..
' I dont like the colour', 'I dont like the cut", or simply 'It's not what I'm looking for'.
But then you can bear witness to some of the most soul destroying comments, that leave you with your jaw on the floor as you watch a young figure in a size 6 tear herself apart in front of a mirror. It's the age old question that has destroyed womens love for their own bodies and in the extreme it has bent eating habits in the youngest of girls.
"Does my bum look big in this?" Do you think that if the first women to ever say that had turned her words around and said 'These pants just aren't for me but i bet i would look amazing in a high waisted tailored number' that we would even be in this mess ?
I'm not over reacting when i say i have heard women literally say the words

" I am too ugly for this dress"

This is completely soul destroying ! You should never say that about yourself. If anything the dress is not worthy of YOUR body shape or YOUR style... Don't get me worng i am female and i have had moments where i feel like not even a full track suit looks good on me but i know what does and i know what i feel amazing in ! So no i dont try on things that i know are not going to suit my body shape and yes when you try on a dress that looks amazing you should repeat after me...
"this dress is lucky to look so good on me, I am too amazing in this dress"

Much love

No comments:

Post a Comment